Roman Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Birth Story

Introducing The Corona Family

The Sunrise the morning he was born (Taken by Tony)
The very first picture I took of him - many more to come

In the mother baby unit - sleeping after his meal

Tony holding Roman soon after birth - still purple
I gave birth over a week ago now. On November 3rd at 2:24 at Landstuhl Hospital in Germany to be exact. He was 21 1/4 inches long and he weighed 3.740 Kilograms = 8.23 pounds. This is my story about the day our first little boy came into the world.

I woke up at midnight that morning to pee then tried to go back to sleep only to wake up again at 12:30 and thought I had to go again. I guess Roman decided to start coming then. What I felt must have been his head according to the nurse that made me think I had to go to the restroom. Soon after that also started to have mild *painless contractions that were about 5 minutes apart. So I called the hospital soon after to make sure I was ok. Then soon after that I started to have REAL contractions. They hurt bad. I knew they were real and I had no doubt, but they were only 7 minutes apart. So I called again. Nurse Sheilds (who also happens to be a west point parent and know Tonys mom via email) answered again and told me that I could come in if I wanted to but she was pretty sure that if they weren't 5 minutes apart that if I was past 2 or 3 cm dilated she would be surprised. Especially since I was a first time mom. Sooo I decided to wait, since I didnt want to drive 20 minutes one way just to have to walk around the hospital for 2 hours while my body showed actual signs of progressing to labor. If it got too bad I was just supposed to call to tell them we were on the way.

During the waiting I called a few people. Who got to sit there while I had a contraction that I could not talk during every 5 minutes. I actually have the record of the times... I am going to post them for my own benefit so that I can look back. Tony came down stairs I think somewhere before the "started to get bad" phase during my second phone call to labor and delivery. I told him to go back to bed.

1 19
1 24
1 29
1 35
1 38
1 43
1 51 or here..
1 55 Started to get bad
2 02
2 11
2 20
2 27
2 35
2 43
2 50
2 55 -5
3 02 -7
3 07 -5
3 12 -5
3 17 -5

I decided to wake my mom and Tony soon after this last one. Even with that random 7 minute one in there I just hurt too bad and felt like it was long enough at home. I didn't want to deliver on the bathroom floor. First I woke my mom, then I went upstairs and woke Tony and lay in bed for another few while he got ready. Oh, did they hurt. I was just fine in between them but it was amazing how I just couldnt move or do anything during one. My mom describes contractions like a really bad charlie horse that you get in your leg only its worse. I knew that once I got to the hospital I could not eat anything but clear stuff because they fear that during labor women will throw up. It was hard to have a contraction in the car. I had I think 4 on that 20 minute ride in the dark and drizzle to the hospital. Then one on the way in to labor and delivery by the elevator. So we get checked in around 5 am and I get into my beautiful backless gown to get checked.

Guess what I was already dilated to 5 cm! Nurse Sheilds was shocked. She said I had bragging rights. So I will repeat that over and over. She asked me if I was ready for or if I planned to get any pain medication. I told her I wanted to wait as long as I could for my epidural because I heard that it can make labor longer. She said I was already past a point and on my way so now was a good time. Can I tell you how little my epidural hurt! Oh my gosh I swear it was nothing. I did start to shake uncontrollably right before the epidural. I guess it was all the adrenaline running threw me. So she cleaned me all up and placed the tub in my back. Genius. They checked for the numbness to kick in with a wet cotton ball on my leg and stomach. That felt odd! I didn't know I would be able to move around my and feel most of my legs. The lady who gave me my IV hurt me 10 times worse then the epidural. The first attempt I had a blown vein; which is still bruised a week later might I add. I have no idea if that means it was my veins fault or hers.. but I do NOT like being stuck with needles.. I don't like seeing them or anything about them, so I will blame her. She put it in my upper arm and I asked her to cover it because I could see too much of it. I am guessing I was the first to ask that because she seemed confused as to why I would need that. We killed time by playing games and I tried to rest, but even without feeling the contractions anymore I was too excited to sleep.

5 hours later at around 10 am they came in to check me again. I had felt much more pressure for a while and when she checked she said she had good news. I was already to 10. The Dr came in to break my water and after they did she said my cervix was in the way. So They let me sit there for another hour almost two before we started to push. The beginning stages of pushing was so easy. They said I was pushing wrong so they brought in the nurse anesthetist to turn down my epidural. Then I learned about a button to push incase of too much "pain"/pressure. That was nice to know about later. I think they turned it off towards the end I swear I could feel way too much... but I guess I will not know unless I go with no epidural at all and I just dont see the point of that right now.

Tony was great the whole time. He was there by my side with the nurse helping me breath and push. He was the best coach and husband I could ask for. When I started to freak out and cry telling the dr I wanted Roman out right now he kept telling me how close I was. I guess I was close for a while because the Dr. kept coming in and leaving. BUT when she did come in she would have me turn to my other side or back talking about how I was doing better before. That upset me more times then not. Another thing that upset me was when she had me touch his head. If you are grossed out.. then don't read this part. I would have thought by the "pressure" and all the "good jobs" "Your almost there" that I would have felt a softball size BUT.. I swear I felt maybe an egg. I was sooo upset that made me cry too. Tony had to calm me down once again. I didnt want to touch his head but she asked for my hand and before I knew it it was done. When we got even closer the Dr. asked if I wanted to feel and before I said no the nurse made sure she knew that upset me last time. My mom was in and out of the room giving us time alone but she was there for the birth. She filmed and took pictures for us. I am very thankful that she was able to come over and be here for such a special time in our lives.

Another funny part I didnt mention is that I started to push around 11:30 or so and we were watching TV at the time. We had it on AFN Prime, the only channel I get at home, so I know the schedule by heart. At 1:00 young and the restless comes on and its over at 2:00. SO when I was still pushing when the "Next time on the Young and the Restless" came from the TV I was thinking its been over almost two hours already! Then the stupid soaps came on and I stopped paying attention to the TV. BUT I swear she told me during Y & R how close I was multiple times. The Dr. came in soon after it was over and then she said it was time and the Dr got all her gear on. She had a mask with a face shield. It was serious stuff. When I pushed the last time and he came out I had wanted to have him skin to skin but he wasn't making enough noise and she said the cord was around his neck so he went to the warmer. I was so upset that he was not on my chest I started saying how I wanted him on me as fast as possible. (There is lots of info saying how this helps the baby adjust to life outside the womb, and they are calmer and breast feed better then babies who are not skin to skin for an hour or more) He stayed with me on my chest as soon after they got him breathing ok and made sure everything was good. I think they wanted to put his eye stuff on and some other things but I insisted they wait. I was told by my midwife and also the lactation consultant that this was perfectly fine for him and that those things could wait. I am sure they just want to get their job done so they can move on. There are more details of course. Maybe I will post those later. I got to hold him and he was perfect. It was wonderful and I told him I was sorry for not wanting to push anymore. Then he kept me company while I was stitched up. I did force Tony to take off his shirt after they took him away from me and I have no memory of what they did to me, but I wanted him to have the Skin to Skin contact too. Thanks for going along with that honey. I love you.


raschel said...

so sweet!! i loved the story. it brings back some wonderful memories! :) I shook uncontrollably after my epidural (I was FREEZING) and that fuh-REAKED luke out! And, it's so funny how every one is different. As gross as it sounds, I LOVED feeling Makena's head/hair and realizing I'm TOUCHING my BABY...i want to SEE her!! Aww, such sweet, sweet memories! So glad you wrote it down so you can remember it later.

Amber said...

Great story. I shook after my epidural too. I want to know more about how much you felt because I felt nothing at all.

Rebecca L Sutton said...

Beautiful telling of the magical day! You, Tony and Roman will cherish having these memories recorded with such detail. ; )

I loved getting to read this, thanks for sharing Crystal! He is soo beautiful and you're right, Tony kick some serious Dad butt for taking his shirt off like you asked. lol

I'm so proud of you! Give that gorgeous baby a big kiss from Nate and I!

Crystal Corona said...

Thanks for the comments. Amber you felt NOTHING?!?! You felt nothing the WHOLE time? Even when she came out?! They said I should not feel pain but feel pressure. So I felt like such a baby when i was crying and freaking out. I don't know where he was in the "canal" but when he got to that point all I wanted to do was push. I was looking at the screen waiting for contractions asking "CAN I PUSH NOW?!?" The funny thing is before the hospital said they dont do "walking epidurals" but thats what they told me I got. So confused. I was told a few different things by different nurses about breast feeding.

Then one freaked out about the H1N1 shot when I asked about it. She tried to say just ask your dr about it, but it was obvious she felt like there was not enough testing and she didn't think that I should get it. Did you all get the H1N1 vac? I got the flu 3 weeks ago. Never before have I got it. That same nurse also started to say that childhood obesity started to show up when kids started to get the chicken pox vac...

Deanna said...

Never listen to the nurses during the pushing part. They all say 'you did great!!' and they all LIE! lol I couldn't get Zachary out at all and the whole 30 mins they let me push they kept saying 'great job!!!' and I KNEW they were lying!! ;) Until they tell me 'head is out' I know it's not a 'good job'. :)

For my 2 good epidurals (the last 2 deliveries they didn't work...long story). I did feel pressure. But I only pushed the my 1st baby for 30 mins before a forcep delivery (NOT fun) and I practically sneezed Kalla out. They all are so different! By baby #4 I was a champion pusher.